Facts about Propolis
- Bees collect the sticky resin from plants & trees which protect delicate buds from weather, pests and infection. They chew the resin, mixing it with their own enzymes to make a “glue”.
- Ancient Greeks called this bee-glue Propolis, meaning in front of the city, because they knew it protects the hive from bacteria.
- Bees use Propolis to fill gaps in their hive keeping out draughts, it is disinfectant & antiseptic so the hive smells beautifully clean, even in winter when they are “housebound”.
- When a bee hatches from its nursery cell that cell is cleaned with Propolis, ready for the queen to lay a precious new egg in sterile conditions.
- Bee hive intruders, such as frogs, mice or snakes, are stung to death by bees. The bees then cover the dead invader with Propolis to stop it rotting and protect the bee colony from infections. The mummified corpse will lay in the bees’ sacred city until a friendly bee-keeper discovers and removes it.
- Every dot of Propolis is different because it is gathered by many bees from many plants in all sorts of places on different days.
- Propolis in the hive is green or red to dark brown in colour and very sticky.
- Famous violinist Stradivarius used Propolis on his violins, giving them an exquisite resonance.
- Most bee keepers farming for honey would throw away Propolis after scraping & torching it from their hives, but even after such harsh work in coldest weather they wonder at their soft smooth hands and many suck a small piece to soothe sore throats, mouth ulcers & coughs.
- It naturally contains tree resin, essential oils, waxes and bioflavonoids.
- Bioflavonoids are one of the most important components in propolis.
Directions for use:
The tincture can be taken as needed. You can add a few drops to your drink or onto a salad or snack. Alternatively, put 4-5 drops in half a glass of warm liquid once or twice a day. Do not exceed the stated recommended daily intake.
External use: apply to the skin where necessary using a cotton bud or piece of linen moistened with the liquid.
Ingredients: high potency propolis 50%, M.P.G. Mono Propylene Glycol.